Buckwheat Microgreens: A Healthy Way to Add Protein to Your SaladsMicrogreen growing tips
Buckwheat microgreens have large leaves and a tangy, citrusy flavor. With a high concentration of protein and iron, they are a healthy addition to a variety of dishes.
What are the nutritional benefits of Buckwheat Microgreens?
Buckwheat microgreens are unique in their nutritional profile. They can add protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc to any dish.
How to grow Sow Right Seeds Buckwheat Microgreens
- Soak buckwheat seeds in a bowl of water for 12-24 hours.
- Spread the seeds onto a damp growing medium.
- Cover the seeds and keep them away from light for 3 - 4 days.
- This is the blackout period referred to on the seed packet.
- Keep the seeds moist by misting them with water from a spray bottle.
- Maintain an average room temperature.
- Check daily and mist as needed to keep them moist.
- Once the buckwheat seeds have sprouted, remove the cover and expose the seedlings to direct light.
- The light during this growth period is important for buckwheat microgreens to develop their bright green color. The green leaves that develop during photosynthesis increase the levels of vitamins and nutrients.
- Continue keeping the seeds moist until they’re ready to harvest.
When and how to harvest Buckwheat Microgreens
In 6-12 days, when the seedlings are about 2 inches tall, they will be ready to harvest. The seed leaves (cotyledons) will be fully grown, and the first set of true leaves will appear.
Use scissors to cut the greens just above the soil. Then rinse in cool water. Use immediately or place in the fridge and consume within a few days.
Enjoy your fresh Buckwheat Microgreens
Because of their big size, buckwheat microgreens can be used as a unique garnish as well as a textural compliment. They work well in grain bowls, sandwiches, wraps, and salads. They can also be enjoyed all by themselves as a quick snack or thrown into a smoothie.
You can even try Buckwheat Microgreens along with 9 other awesome microgreen varieties in our Large Microgreens Growing Kit.
There are so many ways to enjoy the healthy benefits of buckwheat microgreens that you may want to start a new tray every week to always have a fresh supply.
At Sow Right Seeds, we love gardening, and we are committed to helping you have a successful growing experience. Our seeds have a high germination rate, and by following the steps in our growing guide, you will reap the benefits of growing fresh, healthy microgreens in your own home.